Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: RE:literalism

From: "michael helsem" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 21:56:25 GMT

>From: "Alfred W. Tueting (Tüting)" <[email-masked]>
li'o
>total refrain from coining metaphoric tanru/lujvo
>and sticking to literalism means death

i only urge marking metaphorical usage whenever & wherever it occurs.
however, it is possible to regard the omission of PEV/PE'A as a
legitimate ellipsis where syllables are at a premium. (it would
a be nice to have a word for this purpose & put the whole thing
inside a FU'E-FU'O cartouche, but i'm reconciled to the lack
thereof. i don't require lojban to have a specific construction
for everything i want to do with language!)

>I hate Lojban for the lujvo monsters I happened to see

i imagine those longer than 2 or 3 rafsi will signify, perhaps,
an overly GLIJBO style--which isn't necessarily MABLA--& in time
acquire other connotations ("pedantic"? "philosophical"? "agglu-
tinative language aficionado"?...) --two are plenty for almost any
conversational usage, except for those pesky particularized nouns &
we just have to learn to refer to things by their most relevant,
general aspect (!).
_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at 
http://profiles.msn.com.