Subject: Re: weekday names

From: "Alfred W. Tueting (Tüting)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 22:27:05 -0000

--- In [email-masked], Pierre Abbat <phma@o...> wrote:

> I beg to differ. I don't know of any Christians who regard Sunday as the =
last
> day of the week in Genesis, however they number the days today. 

Don't misunderstand me: Genesis speaks of 6 days of work an 1 (the last one=
) to rest (ne-del-ja)! This one I called "sunday" (in 
quotes), but meant "the day the Lord donated to men" (as the Munich Rabbi t=
ells us), i.e. the "seventh day". 
 
> Szerda and csütörtök are obviously from Slavic.

"sreda" (szerda) the middle day, "chetyre" (csütörtök) the fourth day: very=
convincing! Thanks.

Péntek looks Greek, but it
> disagrees with the Greek numbering, so it's probably Slavic too (Slavic h=
ad
> nasal vowels, which are preserved in Polish, and the word for "five" had =
one).

Maybe something derived from "pjatj" (pantsch, pente etc.), hence the "fift=
h".

> Kedd may be from kettö, though I know little of Magyar so I'm just guessi=
ng.

Not bad! Hungarian orthography has changed a bit within the last thousand =
years (look at the first document "... hogy csak por és 
hamu vagyunk..."). But maybe from "két" (which also means "two").

.aulun.