Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: weekday names

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 18:04:58 EST

I don't remember the details, but JCB once got into trouble for
calling Sunday "seven-day," rather than "one-day." As I recall, he -
- like others stuck in Judeo-Christian culture but not in Judeo-
Christian groups -- had Sunday and Sabbath confounded, though he
must have known about Sabbatarian Christians (Seventh-Day Xs --
X being most fundy types), who insist that the Lord's Day (day
when God rested, etc. etc. ) is the seventh (Saturday) and thus the
day for church services. Christians switched to the first toward the
end of the first century when they were busy splitting form Judaism
(and it from them, come to that) and picked Sunday for there big
services (Day of the beginning of Creation, day of resurrection as
per Russian, day of Pentecost, i.e., the start of the Church). Islam
picked a new one, going with Friday rather than Monday (why
those were the choices exactly, I don't know, nor why Monday lost
out -- they both have goddesss connections that should have mde
them undesirable -- but maybe that was what tipped the scale. 
Sunday got totally firmed up by the conquest over the Religion of
Uconquerable Sun in the fourt century -- Constantine and Julian). 
Anyhoo, American (by their calendars at least) go with Sunday as the first, 
following the ancient pattern, and note that a week has two ends, that hppen 
to be next to eachother in sequence -- as you would expect from a ring.