Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: weekday names

From: Cyril Slobin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 16:38:38 +0300 (MSK)

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Ivan A Derzhanski wrote:

> > i suppose we can translate our existing weekdays back into
> > planets & then into the lojbanic names for their traditional
> > metal correspondences:
> 
> Traditional but known to few these days, I'm afraid.

> Or how about the Chinese/Japanese element mapping?: Moon-Day,
> Fire-Day, Water-Day, Wood-Day, Metal-Day, Earth-Day, Sun-Day.

Even less-known. I believe official lojban policy should be numbering
days (one for monday, zero or seven for sunday) and months, and for
fiction and poetry metal or color-based weeks (both by Michael Helsem)
are appropriate. After all, Michael writes most of the fiction and
poetry in lojban these days [zo'o].

I see nothing wrong in the fact that tradition is not widely known now.
Learning something that is meaningful outside lojban community is much
more appealing than learning arbitrary made ad hoc assigments. BTW, I
have known metal tradition, but color tradition is new for me. A piece
of tasty information...

-- 
Cyril Slobin <[email-masked]>