Subject: Important: For those with book printing errors

From: Bob LeChevalier-Logical Language Group <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 14:12:45 -0500

As some of you know, there were a few dozen bad copies of the book that 
went out, mostly in the first month after publication, due to a printer 
error. We have been slow to make good on these bad copies, because the 
printer did not settle with us for a long time.

We can now offer a couple of ways to make good on bad copies. If you can 
print from a PDF file, and you tell me what pages are defective, I can now 
prepare individual page PDFs from the book master, which match the 
original, hopefully exactly, so that you could trim the page and insert it 
in the book on top of the defective page. So contact me with page numbers, 
and I can respond fairly quickly with the repairs.

We also did get a settlement which would allow us to replace bad copies, 
though I am hoping this will not generally be necessary (the settlement was 
not large).

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org