Subject: Re: [lojban] Problematic entries in the lujvo list

From: Ivan A Derzhanski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 15:28:01 +0200

Arnt Richard Johansen wrote:
> While reviewing the lujvo list, I have come across several entries
> which seem erroneous or problematic [...].
> 
> For instance, "baljamna" is glossed as "great war", but [...]
> So the keyword should be changed.

`war greatly', perhaps?

> Then I have noticed that several entries in the lujvo list are
> more than one word long! For instance, this one:
> limna bravau limna barda+vasru: swimming pool
> Should such entries be kept in the lujvo list, or perhaps moved
> somewhere else? (A tanru list?)

There can be no such thing as a tanru list, since it is proscribed
to prescribe the meanings of tanru. {bravau} should remain on its
own in the lujvo list, with the tanru perhaps as an illustration
of its use.

> Finally, I've come across "cfatse", which is intended to mean
> "sit down". But "zutse" already means "sit down", [...]

It is glossed as simply `sit' in the gi'uste. So `sit down'
(or `sit up') is {co'a zutse}, `sit' (ie `be sitting') is
{ca'o zutse}, and {co'u zutse} would be `stand up or lie down
(from a sitting position)', if anyone needs to express such
a concept. As I see it, {cfatse} from {cfari zutse} is an
alternative way of saying {co'a zutse}. Can't say I like it
much, though.

--Ivan