Subject: Re: [lojban] fu'ivla tarmi

From: Richard Curnow <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 23:13:13 +0000

On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 08:26:24AM -0500, John Cowan wrote:
> The rules for valid fu'ivla are known to be incomplete.
> It's clear to me, however, that anything which breaks up is not valid.
> 

I was thinking about this word breaking issue again today, particularly
after the "iglu zbasu" example cited a couple of weeks ago. What
worries me is lujvo of the form CVVCCV followed by a gismu. For (a
contrived) example, the words "ci'ebra zbasu" would be stressed thus if
spoken

ci'Ebra zbAsu
^ ^
+------+---- stress

but consider how "ci'e brazbasu" could be spoken (given that cmavo can
be arbitrarily stressed)

ci'E brazbAsu
^ ^
+------+---- stress

i.e. the same! I'm not sure how these two cases can be distinguished in
the spoken language. What am I missing?

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard P. Curnow [email-masked]
Weston-super-Mare
United Kingdom http://go.to/richard.curnow/