Subject: Re: [lojban] Commas and vowel pairs

From: Cyril Slobin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 21:49:02 +0300 (MSK)

On Sat, 30 Dec 2000, Richard Curnow wrote:

> as implied by other parts of chapter 4. What degree of validity
> checking is required on adjacent vowels that aren't separated by commas
> or apostrophes? Hence what are the valid vowel arrangements in cmene
> and fu'ivla? (It's pretty clear that only ai,au,ei,oi are valid in
> gismu and lujvo, by the way they are constructed.)

I've raised the same question around two months ago, and John Cowan's
answer was "any vowel pair is legal in cmene, but not in any other part
of speach". In particular, our dialogue concerning fu'ivla follows (two
levels of quoting are my words, one level is for Cowan's):

> > Curiouser and curiouser... And what about fu'ivla? Something like
> > "brodrxae"?

> I am pretty sure that is not valid any more, although it may have been
> valid at one time. Of course "xa'e" and "brodrxa'e" are perfectly all
> right.

As a result of that discussion, my lojban.vim marks all such diphtongs
as invalid anywhere expect cmene. Of cource I can change this behavour,
but I really want to know, what exact rule is.

-- 
Cyril Slobin <[email-masked]>