Subject: Commas & vowels : to summarise then...

From: Richard Curnow <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 22:38:32 +0000

My understanding of the recent discussions is that a comma between two
vowels is treated as being equivalent to an apostrophe, both in
pronunciation and in its morphological function. A comma between
consonants is used to indicate a syllable break.

So a word like "ba,irgau" is treated as a lujvo, identical to
"ba'irgau".

Since the letter 'y' is treated as a vowel in cmene, a word like
"biy,on" is a valid cmene, equivalent to "biy'on". However, commas
can't appear between the letter y and a consonant in any type of word.

Is there anything wrong with the above reasoning?

----------------------------------------

On a separate topic, there was a discussion a few weeks back about the
word "iglu" and its relatives. The stated problem is that the word can
break up, with the "glu" part attaching to the following word to form a
longer lujvo.

There was also a discussion subsequent to that about why lujvo can't
break up in a similar way. The answer to this is that any cmavo
stressed on the final syllable has to be followed by a pause. I assume
that means a monosyllabic stressed cmavo has to be followed by a pause
too.

These two threads seem to me to be in conflict. If the word "iglu" is
treated as a fu'ivla, the stress would be on the "i" (hence "I"). The
2nd conclusion means this can't be misunderstood as "I" + "glu" (+
whatever follows), because there would have to be a pause after "I" if
that were a cmavo.

Coincidentally, "iglu" fails the slinku'i test anyway, but the above
reasoning seems to apply to "aiglu" which doesn't.

So my conclusion is that this type of fu'ivla break-up is bogus, and
words like "aiglu", "a'iglu" etc are valid fu'ivla. "iglu" itself
isn't (fails slinku'i).

Is this reasonable, or have I missed something important?

co'o mi'e ritcyd.

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard P. Curnow [email-masked]
Weston-super-Mare
United Kingdom http://go.to/richard.curnow/