Subject: Re: [lojban] Commas & vowels : to summarise then...

From: Elrond <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 11:53:24 +0100 (CET)

> My understanding of the recent discussions is that a comma between two
> vowels is treated as being equivalent to an apostrophe, both in
> pronunciation and in its morphological function.
>
> So a word like "ba,irgau" is treated as a lujvo, identical to
> "ba'irgau".
>
This puzzles me quite a bit, because so far I have been using the
comma to distinguish "ma,ite" from "maite", which IIRC have different
pronounciations : the first one is very close to the name of a well-known
french cook (Maïté), and the other one is not close to anything I know of
(in terms of names).

What I mean here is that I though that the comma was useful for separating
two vowels that would otherwise fall off being pronounced as a diphtong,
in places where it is unwanted.

Comments ?

raph