Subject: Announcement : jbofihe version 0.35 released

From: Richard Curnow <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 22:26:39 +0000

coi rodo

I am pleased to announce the release of a new version of my jbofihe
software package. The major changes in this new version are:

- it's now been ported to MS-DOS (using the DJGCC compiler). Hopefully
this should make it accessible to more people. (The default is still
"compile-it-yourself" on a Linux (or other GNU-like) platform.)

- it has several new options to do with elidable separators (i.e. "cu")
and terminators (ku, kei, vau etc). It can show where such words have
been omitted, show where such words could safely have been elided but
weren't, etc.

- the algorithm which categorises words into
cmavo/gismu/lujvo/fu'ivla/cmene and which detaches cmavo which
have been prefixed onto other words has been completely rewritten and
is now very much more thorough.

- it can now display a much more detailed back-trace through the parser
state when a syntax error occurs in the text.

- a minimal glossing dictionary can now be built without the need to
download any other files.

- many minor bugs have been fixed & other enhancements included.

The full release notes + download links are on the homepage,

http://go.to/jbofihe

I've also uploaded the source kit jbofihe-0.35.tar.gz and the MS-DOS
pre-built binary jbofi035.zip to the jbofihe subdirectory on the Lojban
group's files area on Egroups.

Please send comments, suggestions, bug reports etc to

[email-masked]

Here's a general overview of the software :

jbofihe is a command-line driven program with the following functions :

- checking grammatical correctness of Lojban text
- displaying successfully analysed text with nesting of grammatical constructs
shown (either inline or as a tree)
- displaying approximate word-for-word English translations of the Lojban
words, with some limited 'part-of-speech' adjustment of the English forms.
- showing which sumti fill each of the places of each selbri
- performing various analyses regarding elidable terminators : inserting
missing ones, checking for all of them being present, identifying
redundant ones etc.

Bundled with jbofihe are 4 other programs :

- cmafihe is a cut-down jbofihe which has no grammar checking (so it's
particularly useful for getting an initial word look-up on badly formed
texts)
- smujajgau builds the pre-sorted binary format Lojban->English word database
that jbofihe and cmafihe use
- jvocuhadju determines the optimal lujvo for a given tanru input to it as
command line arguments.
- vlatai analyses a Lojban word for syntactic correctness, determines the type
of word (gismu, cmene, lujvo, fu'ivla etc), and reports whether there are any
cmavo prefixed to it. (It is the really the testbench for part of jbofihe,
but it is sufficiently useful that it is bundled as a program in its own
right.)

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard P. Curnow [email-masked]
Weston-super-Mare
United Kingdom http://go.to/richard.curnow/