Subject: Re: Tengwar Mac fonts? etc.

From: "Alfred W. Tueting (Tüting)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 11:40:26 -0000

--- In [email-masked], Elrond <grey.havens@e...> wrote:

> I'm surprised the Mac can't accept TrueType fonts... 

Oh yes, it can, but it depends on the platform they're designed for.
However,

> perhaps you can find what you need at
> http://babel.uoregon.edu/yamada/fonts/tolkien.html

Thanks to you (and xod) for your help! Cool site, cool download :))

> ni'o loi ciskrtengua a'usai do mo

The idea of the script is pretty intelligent, pleasing & well-suited. It's =
a beautiful way to strip the 
"mathematical computing" touch off from Lojban. It's a decorative way to wr=
ite and publish Lojban poetry.

BTW, I stumbled in an interesting and dedicated site (http://www.sil.org), =
where I found this
"Linguistic Creed" (by Benjamin F. Elson, September, 1987), beautifully exp=
ressing my very conviction 
since my boyhood, which I want to share with you:

"We believe that language is one of God's most important gifts to man, and =
of all human characteristics, 
language is the most distinctly human and the most basic. Without language,=
culture and civilization would 
be impossible.
We also believe that any language is capable of being a vehicle for compli=
cated human interaction and 
complex thought, and can be the basis for a complex culture and civilizatio=
n.

Therefore, all languages deserve respect and careful study.

As the most uniquely human characteristic a person has, a person's language=
is associated with his self-
image. Interest in and appreciation of a person's language is tantamount to=
interest in and appreciation 
of the person himself.

All languages are worthy of preservation in written form by means of gramma=
rs, dictionaries, and 
written texts. This should be done as part of the heritage of the human rac=
e.

Every language group deserves to see its language in print and to have some=
literature written in it.

Minority language groups within a larger nation deserve the opportunity of =
learning to speak, read, and 
write the national language.

ªüÌ 

.i ji'a ki'ecai co'o mi'e la .aulun.