Subject: Vocabulary training

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 23:58:03 -0000

I'm a complete Lojlan beginner. I've been trying to make some 
vocabulary tools to help learn the language. I thought I'd let you 
know what I've got in case it could help other students.

I searched for shareware vocabulary trainers at softseek.zdnet.com 
and found a lot more than I expected. The one I liked best is 
WordQuiz (http://peterandlinda.com/wordquiz/). You can try it out 
for free, and the shareware fee is $20. It's certainly not perfect, 
and if you try it out you may find even more limitations than 
occurred to me. But it's a Windows app and works better for me than 
LogFlash.

To organize the vocabulary, I looked at the Vital English Vocabulary 
(2327 words). It's the union of five minimal language sets. There 
were roughly 155 words that all five language sets recommended. 
Figuring that these were most important (roughly), I divided that 
into 12 WordQuiz files (Numbers, People, Outdoors, etc.). I also 
took the roughly 320 words that any four language sets recommended 
and divided that into 28 files. Finally, I'm going through Robin 
Turner's Lojban lessons and making files of the vocabulary words that 
they introduce.

If it would be useful, I'd be happy to share any of the WordQuiz 
files that I've made.

Bob