Subject: Re: [lojban] UNIX Logflash?

From: "Robert J. Chassell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 21:25:09 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Robin Lee Powell wrote:

> I know this has been discussed over and over, but does a way to access
> logflash from my unix box _without_ emulating DOS exist? 

Besides LogFlash, there is a program that runs in GNU Emacs that does
somewhat the same job: flashcard.

You can get it and Lojban vocabulary files from:

http://www.rattlesnake.com/lojban/

All the files you need, including the vocabulary files, are in 

lojban-flashcard.tar.gz
543,609 bytes

(You need to run GNU Emacs, but that runs on GNU/Linux, BSD, Microsoft,
and other operating systems.)

Here is a copy of a note I posted awhile back.
As I say in the note:

Unfortunately, I myself have been too busy with other activities
to devote time to Lojban and have fallen behind.

and I am falling even further behind. <sigh> :-(

Best wishes.

2000 May 4

Daniel Gudlat asked:

> Btw, Is there an easy way to "localize" the logflash programs?

I do not know about logflash, but you could localize the GNU Emacs
lojban Flashcard mode -- add German or Japanese.

You can download the mode and the specially formatted gismu lists (and
the program to recreate them) from:

http://www.rattlesnake.com/lojban/

lojban-flashcard.tar.gz
531k

For more of a description see:

http://www.rattlesnake.com/lojban/lojban-readme.html

You would add a German definition to the English and Lojban that
I provide. Flashcard is not limited to just two languages.

Here is what the author says:

The purpose of `flashcard' is to drill the user over a
user-created database of questions and answers. It records
scores, and can tailor the drill according to the user's past
performance. To quickly summarize its features, I'll describe an
example.

I create a vocabulary file; the top line indicates that there are
two fields in this file, called `dutch' and `english'. (But I
could have three or more fields if desired.) I then enter a bunch
of pairs of Dutch and English words, one pair on a line. E.g.:

!% Fields: dutch english

wie who
huis house
straat street

etc.

However, rather than provide key words, for Lojban I provide both `key
words' and complete definitions like this:

klama (kla)

come, go
x1 come-s/goes to destination x2 from origin x3 via route x4 using
means/vehicle x5

[also travels, journeys, moves, leaves to ... from ...; x1 is a
traveller; (x4 as a set includes points at least sufficient to
constrain the route relevantly)]

I don't like using single English words for Lojban, since they
translate so poorly.

The program's author goes on to say:

Then I can use `flashcard' to drill me on this file, either
presenting me with the `dutch' field and letting me think of the
`english' field, or vice versa. `flashcard' will not check my
answers (unless I'm in multiple-choice mode); I must judge if I
got the answer right or wrong, and hit `r' or `w' accordingly.
`flashcard' keeps score for each field and each record: how many
times I've gotten it right, how many times I've gotten it wrong,
and when was the last time I got it right. This information is
stored in a separate score file.

At some later date I can come back to the same vocabulary
file, and have `flashcard' drill me on selected cards, based
on criteria such as "all cards which I haven't gotten right
in a month" or "all cards which I've gotten right less than
75% of the time."

Multiple vocabulary files can be loaded, mixed together, and
drilled on simultaneously. When the drilling is done, scores will
be saved to the appropriate separate score files.

You need to run GNU Emacs to run Flashcard. Fortunately GNU Emacs
runs on a great many systems, including Microsoft Windows 95 and 98,
various versions of Unix, and GNU/Linux.

When you start Flashcard, the program will ask you for the name of a
file; I suggest you start with `basic-words', which I have included in
the tar file. I just did this and this is the first screen I see
looks like this:

Card #1 of 308 Overall: 0 r 0 w (0%) This card: 0 r 0 w (0%)

Question (english): brown,
x1 is brown/tan [color adjective]
/:/

Answer (lojban):

Press SPC if you know the answer,
g to give up, or
k to skip this question.

When I press the space bar or the `g' key, _bunre (bur bu'e)_ appears

Here is an other example, after I press SPC:

Card #2 of 308 Overall: 0 r 1 w (0%) This card: 0 r 0 w (0%)

Question (english): at_least

Answer (lojban): su'o

Press g again to proceed, or
k to skip this question.

Unfortunately, I myself have been too busy with other activities to
devote time to Lojban and have fallen behind.

Best wishes -- the program is free software, free as in `freedom'
German frei (*not* kostenlos or gratis); you may do what you wish with
it except forbid others from doing what you may do.

--
Robert J. Chassell [email-masked]
Rattlesnake Enterprises http://www.rattlesnake.com