Subject: Maximum allowed consonant cluster length in fu'ivla?

From: Richard Curnow <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 22:29:23 +0000

In chapter 3 of the Ref. Grammar, there is a statement

In Lojban, doubled consonants are excluded altogether, and clusters
are limited to two or three members, except in Lojbanized names.

In chapter 4, there are examples such as

cidjrspageti

which contain clusters of 4 consonants, arising from the stage 3 fu'ivla
algorithm when the initial rafsi is of CVCC form. Does the word
'member' in the first statement mean 'consonant' or 'pair of
consonants'? The stage 3 fu'ivla examples seem to imply it must mean
pair of consonants.

In this case, is it true to say that the maximum length of consonant
cluster in fu'ivla is 4 (with each of the 3 pairs being permissible, and
each being a permissible initial pair if the cluster is at the
beginning?)

[This question has arisen in resolving one of several jbofihe v0.35
bugs; see http://www.rrbcurnow.freeuk.com/jbofihe/bugs035.html for the
current list ]

co'o mi'e ritcyd.

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard P. Curnow [email-masked]
Weston-super-Mare
United Kingdom http://go.to/richard.curnow/