Subject: Re: [lojban] RE: apostrophic fits

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 22:31:27 -0500 (EST)

Lin Zhemin scripsit:

> I'm really confused now. In the draft text book, it is defined as a
> sound similar to English /h/. And we know English /h/ is transcribed as
> [h] (not always but often). So that we know the apostroph sign sounds
> like [h]. But in the RefGram it is not like but is [h]...

[h] is the most usual case; [T] (theta, English "thin") is also
possible, as is any unvoiced spirant that can't be confused with /s/,
/f/, or /x/.

> > In Mandarin, yes; in Lojban, no. There are other allophones of
> > Lojban "x", like [X], but [h] is not one of them.
> 
> What are the other allophones of _x_ ? 

[X] for one, which is like [x] but pronounced further back in the mouth.

-- 
John Cowan [email-masked]
One art/there is/no less/no more/All things/to do/with sparks/galore
--Douglas Hofstadter