Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Reply, to whom?

From: Invent Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 16:56:25 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, John Cowan wrote:

> Olivia wrote:
>
> > a good way to alleviate this problem would be for the moderator to
> > change the reply-to attribute of the list's posting settings to
> > "All (replies go to all members of this group)".....
>
> For why we don't do that, please read "Reply-To Munging
> Considered Harmful" at http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html

The way you have this list set up, pine offers two options: to reply to
the sender only, or to reply to everybody. "Everybody" means BOTH the
original poster, and the list. This is the option that people appear to be
using, even if they are not using pine. I personally select this option
and then tediously erase the original poster's address, and cut-n-paste
the group address out of the cc: field into the to: field. It seems that
few others can be bothered.

The author mendaciously implies triviality by omitting the fact that this
extra step must be taken. He says:

"Any reasonable, modern mailer provides this feature. I prefer the Elm
mailer. It has separate ``r)eply'' and ``g)roup-reply'' commands. If I
want to reply to the author of a message, I strike the ``r'' key. If I
want to send a reply to the entire list, I hit ``g'' instead. Piece 'o
cake."

Yeah, right. Only if your idea of a mailing list is a "cc:" list.

-----
We do not like And if a cat
those Rs and Ds, needed a hat?
Who can't resist Free enterprise
more subsidies. is there for that!