Subject: Re: [lojban] RE: imaginary worlds and the death of God

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:45:37 -0500 (EST)

Jorge Llambias scripsit:

> If God is omniscient then a deterministic universe is convenient,
> for otherwise we would have to admit that God could be wrong in
> His knowledge of the future.

Foreknowledge, even perfect foreknowledge, doesn't imply causation.
For example: I can hand you a sealed envelope and say "In this
letter there are two choices given. I foreknow which of these
you will choose, and to prove it, I will write it down here
and seal it in this second envelope." You open the first envelope,
choose one of the options, and then my envelope is checked. Sure
enough, I know which option you chose.

Option 1 said "Drink battery acid", option 2 said "Go to room 402
and collect a check for US$1 million."

-- 
John Cowan [email-masked]
One art/there is/no less/no more/All things/to do/with sparks/galore
--Douglas Hofstadter