Subject: Re: [lojban] No imaginary worlds.

From: "michael helsem" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 16:23:47

>From: Invent Yourself <[email-masked]>
li'o
>We are conflating two concepts: "possible" and "believable".

Yes; & some of us believe other worlds are "possible" (English
sense) & some of us don't. (This wouldn't be the first time
philosophy ran aground on the rocks of the imperial idiom.)
But what about in Lojban? Can one say CUMKI MUNJE or is it
necessary to use a PE'A somewhere?

x1 is POSSIBLE under conditions x2

y1 is a UNIVERSE/COSMOS [complete and ordered entity] of domain/
sphere y2 defined by rules y3.

MUNJE clearly excludes worlds without y3 --rules-- & worlds without 
definable domain boundaries --y2.

As far as i can tell, there's nothing unlojbanical about CUMKI
MUNJE given that the speaker is expected to have in mind x2, y2 &
y3, or else explicitly denies one or all of them with ZI'Os.

(--And "z2 is CALLED z1 by z3" seems as unproblematical as any
gismu in the lexicon...)

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com