Subject: [lojban] Re: RE:su'u

From: And Rosta <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 17:18:03 +0000

aULUN:
#--- In lojban@y..., "And Rosta" <a.rosta@d...> wrote:
[...]
#Even as a jurist (and hence not unfamiliar with hair-splitting 
#l'art-pour-l'art issues of that kind), I must admit that I'm deeply 
#impressed (shocked?) by the murmur descending from your 
#linguists ivory tower ;-)
#BTW, do you really think that there's an essential difference 
#between names and "common" words, as all words being 
#nothing but labels attached to things belonging to (a) 
#world(s) experienced (or at least imagined) by users of 
#language?!

I don't really understand your question. But certainly it is
my personal view that there is no semantic or grammatical
difference between proper names and common nouns.
But this view, though not unusual, is not mainstream.
And Lojban does make this mainstream semantic
and grammatical distinction between proper names and 
brivla.

--And.