Subject: Re: [lojban] Imaginary worlds (was su'u)

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 16:57:19 -0500

And Rosta wrote:

> Is the Statue of Liberty made of marble?

Well, perhaps in a possible world in which marble, rather than being
calcium carbonate, is in fact copper.

> My (excellent) answer is that it 99% is; i.e. it satisfies 99%
> of criteria for SoL-hood (including having no close rivals
> for SoLhood), but falls down on the "made of marble"
> criterion.

Well, I would rather say that it is the *counterpart* of the
S of L, but not the same as it.

Question: Suppose that Barbara Bush had dedicated herself to
raising puppies rather than children. Would you be willing
to have a p.w. in which the President of the United States
was (even 95%) a black Labrador?

-- 
There is / one art || John Cowan <[email-masked]>
no more / no less || http://www.reutershealth.com
to do / all things || http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
with art- / lessness \\ -- Piet Hein