Subject: sibdo be la lojban

From: Bjoern Gohla <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 21:45:52 +0100

>1) In an attempt to get more real-worldish Lojbanic text out there, maybe
>someone should consider running a news site where the news is written
>in Lojban. (Not news about Lojban per se, but stuff like you see on
>CNN, etc.)

mi zukte si'o di'u tu'i la jbosnu .i a'o mi bazudi'i ciska
(trans. taking too long :-( )

well, i had that same idea, and tried to translate headlines from the 
economist. intended more as an excercise, i could image doing more 
comprehensive news reporting eventually, once i am fluent enough.

>In particular, the KDE project (argh I don't want to start any sort
>of desktop flamewar) has very nice tools which can be used to translate
>KDE programs into other languages. I've started on converting the
>basic portions of KDE into Lojban, but many of the more complex sentences
>elude me. If we could get far enough with the translation, it would
>most probably be accepted into the KDE official distribution, giving
>Lojban another avenue of advertisement. (*cough* Someone is translating
>KDE into Esperanto. ;)
 
i would much appreciate having that 

keeping the above in mind, i may note that what could be called "content 
centric language acquisition" seems to be pretty efficient. a major component 
of which i hold to be dealing with texts of foreign language but familiar 
content, just knowing the basics of the language and rarely referring to a 
dictionary. looking back at it, i believe this is what boosted my english in 
8th grade when i started reading computer books and began watching cnn.
on a marginal note, children learn their native language in a similar way, 
since they do not know any language other than the one they are just 
learning, they have to work out everything from observation and imitation. i 
do not want to seem being all too knowldgeable about language acquisition, 
but having more familiar-content-every-day-use-up-to-date-lojban-texts around 
would certainly be helpful.

- -------------------------------------
[email-masked]	Björn Gohla
pub 1024D/834F4976 2001-01-07 Björn Gohla (Wissenschaftler, Weltbürger) 
<[email-masked]>
Key fingerprint = 9FF4 FEDA CCDF DA0E 14D5 8129 6C14 3C39 834F 4976
sub 1024g/29571FE2 2001-01-07  
guard your privacy -- use GnuPG -- see: http://www.gnupg.org