Subject: Re: [lojban] Classes?

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 16:17:27 -0500

At 07:30 PM 02/13/2001 -0500, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
>A co-worker just mentioned that he'd heard of 'study in a classroom with
>like conversation excersizes and such' for lojban. Do any of you know
>of such a thing?

I've conducted a couple of Lojban classes over the years, and Athelstan 
conducted one before his accident. Mine used the draft textbook, which has 
exercises. Athelstan was more adept at winging it and coming up with an 
exercise on the fly.

The main limitation in classroom work is lack of vocabulary. People's 
command of the grammar advances so much faster than their command of 
vocabulary that it is difficult to come up with interesting exercises that 
exercise both at an equal level. You get so you know so much grammar that 
you can express a lot of complexity, and yet have only 100 words that you 
know well enough to play with, many of which have no use for the grammar 
that you've learned.

The result was that I decided to rewrite the draft textbook, but of course 
that stalled out somewhere in chapter 1.

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org