Subject: Re: [lojban] sibdo be la lojban

From: Invent Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 16:31:02 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Bob LeChevalier (lojbab) wrote:

> The problem with that of course is our old bugaboo "copyright laws". Most
> of the stuff that people would find familiar is under copyright, and
> negotiating permissions usually costs money and often is bureaucratically
> difficult (takes lots of time and you need to know who to contact). As a
> result, when people try to do translations, they usually are short snippets
> that might pass for "fair use" (like the LOTR sample being discussed now)
> or they are old works that are out of copyright.

Another argument for ORIGINAL work in Lojban. Translation of existing
material is useful for learning a language's vocabulary, but real
proficiency, growth, or anything resembling Sapir-Whorf requires writing
original works. It also adds value to the language's corpus; why bother
learning a language if it only enables you to read work that's already in
English?

-----
We do not like And if a cat
those Rs and Ds, needed a hat?
Who can't resist Free enterprise
more subsidies. is there for that!