Subject: Introducing Myself (and, le brojbogri)

From: Avital Oliver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 00:42:13 +0200 (IST)

coi rodo .i

FYI, I live in Israel. Now, the story.

I've known Lojban for around three years - after I started searching on
planned/constructed/logical languages, since my friend told me about,
<cough>, Esperanto. Lojban quite interested me almost immediately, but
because of my partial lack of free time/willpower, I didn't get much far
in studying Lojban (I remembered the meaning of tavla! =).

A few weeks ago, I started getting re-interested in Lojban, this time more
seriously. So, I'm working on logflash every day, and reading (slowly but
surely) the reference grammer.

I also realized that by finding a group of friends which are also
interested in learning Lojban, I will be able to both spread the word of
Lojban, and give myself additional incentive to learn it. So, I found a
group of friends, told them a bit about Lojban, and (with the help of my
two good friends - Sapir and Whorf) persuaded them to learn Lojban too.

So, now, I'm trying to start weekly or bi-weekly meetings to study lojban
with this new group (le brojbogri). I'm hoping to give more stress on
vocabulary and basic grammer (enough for conversation), than to enter all
the nuances of the grammer (and I'm staying as far away as possible from
teh BNF grammer). I believe arguing nonstop about grammatical issues is
good - Lojban needs to be different than other languages in the way that
its grammer is the best it can be at a given moment; but still, that is
not what will cause people to actually talk the language.

So, I wanted to know if you people can give me some advice on how to
organize these meetings/lessons - what to teach, how to let people learn
vocabulary... I thought I can use the pre-defined order in LogFlash and
teach by that, each week telling people, 'learn the next N words until
next meeting', and then attempting to use those words in real
conversation/reading/writing.

Any help will do, and I do believe that if this group will be serious
enough, we can reach good Lojban knowledge within months.

Good day,
Avital Oliver.