Subject: Re: [lojban] spuda be la'e lu sibdo be la lojban li'u

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 16:32:35 -0500

At 08:36 PM 02/15/2001 +0100, Bjoern Gohla wrote:
>having written that, i believe summarizing world news is a good thing to
>start with. presumed the reader is up-to-date on global politics it should be
>easy for him to get into the text. an advantage of dealing with news are
>names, which are recognisable even by the unintroduced.

Probably a good idea. I've always been prone to shy away from discussing 
such events, because I know that the American perspective on many world 
events is biased and sometimes offensive to those from other countries.

>by the way, translating the classics would hardly do them justice, i doubt
>that anyone has reached the proficiency yet to render goethe or
>shakespeare appropriately in lojban, much less anyone to appreciate it.

Nick Nicholas and Mark Shoulson, who helped render _Hamlet_ into Klingon, 
are almost certainly skilled enough to do it into Lojban. But that would 
be an extremely time-consuming task.

A long time ago, I started on Burton's uncensored version of the 
Scheherazade story from the Thousand Nights and a Night (The Arabian 
Nights). It was going well and reasonably elegantly, but I had to drop it 
and haven't gotten back to it. I should. (Unfortunately the familiarity 
of the story wouldn't help much with reading the translation; the 
children's story has little relationship to the sexually explicit "real 
version".)

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org