Subject: Re: [lojban] nilbroda

From: Nick Nicholas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 14:53:31 -0800

>At 08:51 PM 02/16/2001 -0500, Pierre Abbat wrote:
>>According to Chapter 12, the place structure of nilbroda is x1 is the
>>amount of
>>x2 brodaing x3 ... on scale xn, but according to both NORALUJV.txt and
>>lujvo-list, those nilbroda that have ni-places have both of them first.
>>What's
>>right?
>[Nora] is inclined (and I agree) that the ni2
>place is usually oblique and unnecessary enough that it should not go
>second, in which case putting it in the end per the book makes sense. The
>book also retains preeminence as a standard in case of doubt though the
>chapter 12 rules are merely preferred conventions and not requirements for
>the language. So barring comments from Nick, I would say the book rules
>should win over the lujvo list files.

*shrug* In cases like these, I put arguments like ni2 precisely because
introducing broda makes the place structure variadic, and it's good for
predictability to leave the open-ended places till last. (For the same
reason, I wanted the comparandum of traji to be x2, not x4.) But of course
the book takes priority, and the places of the broda would indeed be more
important than the scale of quantification.

Nick Nicholas, Thesaurus Linguae Graecae. [email-masked]
www.tlg.uci.edu/~opoudjis
"All the nations also under his dominion were filled with joy and
inexpressible gladness at not being even for a moment deprived of the
benefits of a well ordered government."
--- Eusebius of Caesaria on the accession of Constantine I.