Subject: Re: [lojban] nilbroda

From: Nick Nicholas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 15:02:05 -0800

>From: Peter Moulder <[email-masked]>
>Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 19:06:41 +1100 (EST)

>What about "variadic" selbri like "(nil)du"? How does one know whether
>the last sumti belongs to ni or du?

Ouch. Very good point. You either
(a) give up and don't admit nildu'o as a lujvo (which is no good);
(b) make nildu'o an exception, and have the ni2 precede the arguments of
du'o --- which leads to untold confusion;
(c) leave it as it stands, which is disastrous.

One would say at this point that usage and context would always sort this
out. To which I answer that if I want English, I know where to find it. If
a lujvo has an ambiguous place structure, it has no business being a lujvo.
(Which would, if anything, go back to (a).)

I knew there was a reason I wanted those ni2 and traji4 in second position.
Oh well.

.i .ua ko seka'i mi rinsa lemi gugde

Nick Nicholas, Thesaurus Linguae Graecae. [email-masked]
www.tlg.uci.edu/~opoudjis
"All the nations also under his dominion were filled with joy and
inexpressible gladness at not being even for a moment deprived of the
benefits of a well ordered government."
--- Eusebius of Caesaria on the accession of Constantine I.