Subject: Re: [lojban] RE:su'u

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:55:48 -0500

And Rosta wrote:

> You also need to tell me whenabouts I am with respect to GMT.

You are spot on GMT at present, and will switch to GMT+1 (British Summer
Time) in summer, which for this purpose will begin at 1 AM local time
on February 25, it says here.

I switch from GMT-5 (Eastern Standard Time) to GMT-4 (Eastern
Daylight Savings Time) analogously, but not until 2 AM local
time on March 1.

> It can't be whatever the time in Greenwich happens to be
> (17:09), because twice a year we very perversely add to or
> subtract from the day an hour, so as to ensure that the
> following day everybody will arrive for appointments one hour
> early or one hour late, and will have videoed the wrong
> telly programmes.

Well, since we live in free and democratic nations, we would
resist to the death any government attempt to make us get up
and go to bed an hour earlier by law. But sheeplike we accept
an edict to change our clocks. Comes to the same thing, except
for the practical effects you mention.

IMO every Internet user should learn his or her GMT offset(s)
and keep them holy. Only so can we reliably communicate about
times with people in other countries.

-- 
There is / one art || John Cowan <[email-masked]>
no more / no less || http://www.reutershealth.com
to do / all things || http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
with art- / lessness \\ -- Piet Hein