Subject: Re: [lojban] nilbroda

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 15:01:23 -0500

At 02:53 PM 02/19/2001 -0800, you wrote:
> >At 08:51 PM 02/16/2001 -0500, Pierre Abbat wrote:
> >>According to Chapter 12, the place structure of nilbroda is x1 is the
> >>amount of
> >>x2 brodaing x3 ... on scale xn, but according to both NORALUJV.txt and
> >>lujvo-list, those nilbroda that have ni-places have both of them first.
> >>What's
> >>right?
> >[Nora] is inclined (and I agree) that the ni2
> >place is usually oblique and unnecessary enough that it should not go
> >second, in which case putting it in the end per the book makes sense. The
> >book also retains preeminence as a standard in case of doubt though the
> >chapter 12 rules are merely preferred conventions and not requirements for
> >the language. So barring comments from Nick, I would say the book rules
> >should win over the lujvo list files.
>
>*shrug* In cases like these, I put arguments like ni2 precisely because
>introducing broda makes the place structure variadic,

Where do you put them?

>and it's good for
>predictability to leave the open-ended places till last. (For the same
>reason, I wanted the comparandum of traji to be x2, not x4.) But of course
>the book takes priority,

You wrote that particular section of the book, so I figured you would know 
why you wrote the convention oppositely from what you actually did.

>and the places of the broda would indeed be more
>important than the scale of quantification.

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org