Subject: Re: [lojban] [u]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:26:40 EST

In a message dated 2/21/2001 8:17:19 PM Central Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> I don't have my copy of the red book handy, but the online version has
> no explanation for the sound IPA [u] or the lojban letter 'u', AFAICT.
> Is this also true in the red book?
> 

Not in the part explaining IPA to English speakers and all it says otherwise 
is "black close vowel""usually rounded". The double o in "food", not that of 
"book" (but after your years in Canader, I not sure that will make a clear 
distinction -- close to Eastern Canadian ou in "about" as done by comics and 
not a few other indogenes. Italian or Spanish long u -- NOT French (their 
ou).

The E in ETA is presumably Euskera (Basque for "Bosque" as near as I can 
remember) but the rest is probably also Basque and thus not available to 
reconstruction (the merciful God allowed the Devil to return to Hell after 
seven years of Basque lessons, after which he could count to five -- better 
than our situation with 
Etruscan at that).