Subject: Balvi (was: My lojban page.)

From: Invent Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 20:09:02 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Bob LeChevalier (lojbab) wrote:

> At 04:50 PM 02/27/2001 -0500, you wrote:
> >I happen to have written one. All the text on www.balvi.org is rendered
> >through it. This filter reads texts, uses a database lookup and checks
> >each word if it's a gismu, lujvo, or cmavo. If so, it turns it into a
> >javascript link that, when clicked, opens a dictionary window showing the
> >definition of that word.
> >
> >But I assume you've all seen this already, since I announced Balvi a month
> >ago.
>
> I don't think you ever did, unless it was during the day or two that my
> address was dead. I can't find a message about it. About a month ago you
> told me about a sneak preview of the data base work you were doing, which I
> never had a chance to look at (Nor did I finish what I was doing; 200 words
> from being done, I got sidetracked into personal life problems and haven't
> quite emerged yet.)
>
> At least I have no idea what balvi.org is (and still no time to look).

It must have been during your downtime. I announced it to the list, who
complained that the color combination was difficult to read.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lojban/message/5226

I created it using those colors on my laptop, whose screens have higher
contrast or whatever. It shows up fine on laptops, but is too dim on
monitors. Changing those colors means re-coding that aforementioned filter
to use stylesheets instead of font tags, and a new job and deadline has
impeded me from finishing the changes. If you tell your browser to
ignore custom color settings, it is perfectly legible. This is simple in
Netscape.

As for "what" Balvi is, take a look when you get a spare 10 minutes.
The short answer is that it's the first (intentional) Lojban domain name.

I was hoping to get new content up there for March, but it seems I'm going
to be a little late.

We have a MySQL database populated with the official lists of gismu,
lujvo, and cmavo.

These lists are accessed by a javascript window that pops up to reveal the
english fanva of any Lojban word found in these 3 official lists. They are
also used by a dictionary lookup system found at www.balvi.org/valfahi

I have found a lacuna in the intersection of these three lists. The rafsi
of the NU selmaho are nowhere! Where do you suppose we should add them?

-----
We do not like And if a cat
those Rs and Ds, needed a hat?
Who can't resist Free enterprise
more subsidies. is there for that!