Subject: Re: [lojban] I almost caught the train

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 19:18:50

la pycyn cusku di'e

>I just missed the train = almost caught the train = mi po'u snada ta'u le
>trene
>I just barely caugt the train = almost missed the train = mi po'u fliba 
>ta'u
>le trene.

Yes, I think these will often work. For example, if you
are inside the train and say to a fellow passenger
{mi pu'o fliba tu'a le trene} it is clear that the failing
did not eventuate.

As a more general solution though I think {naru'e} and
{ja'aru'e} are better, because it won't always be clear what
the opposite action is, and as And pointed out it is not
always a matter of tense/aspect either.

>to the side: "almost 100" is {so'a panono}; although {so'a} isn't marked 
>as
>defaulting to "all," it presumably works like all those other guys.

What are {so'e panono}, {so'i panono}, etc. then?

>"only" we've been around on so many times I can't remember all the readings
>for it, but {po'o} doesn't fit (and I seem to recall that I never liked it
>anyhow): the present cases seems to amount to something like "I am
>surprised/relieved that it is so little as" - a complex UI.

The "so little as" is the relevant part, and I can't see that as
a UI.

>I have no suggestion for "barely over 100" off the top of mu head.

{za'uru'e panono}?

co'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.