Subject: Re: [lojban] I almost caught the train

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 15:58:33 EST

In a message dated 3/12/2001 12:15:06 PM Central Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> <mi stidi jinvi le du'u di'u mupli le malglico be le'a le ka mapti le glico
> tcaci .i ca'a fanva lu mi pu'o snada tu'a le trene li'u goi ko'a fu zoi
> gy. I almost caught the train .gy ta'i le pu'u pa le valsi cu mapti pa le
> valsi .i ku'i xu va'o le za'i lojbo pensi kei ko'a nibli le za'i na klama
> fu le trene .i mi jinvi le ka jitfa
> 
> li 10 ckupau zo'u
> 
> 10.1) mi pu'o damba
> I [inchoative] fight.
> I'm on the verge of fighting.
> 
> .i za'a no da poi me di'u ku'o cu nibli le du'u na bazi damba .i da'o no'i
> no da poi na glico ku'o cu nibli le mu'e fliba tu'a le trene .i jinvi le
> du'u le selfi'i be fo lu je nai li'u cu sarcu>
> 

Well, I didn't say it was entailed, only that it was implicated (else why 
bring in Grice, who is not a good houseguest). Nor did I say that what was 
implicated was that the speaker did not come by train, just not by that 
train. Of course, the implicature requires the context that makes this a 
past occurrence, I suppose, and. in that case, even {mi pu'o damba} suggests 
-- in the absence of a correlated event, that the battle did not take place. 
I take the word-for -word translation to be accidental and not a sign of 
malgliconess, since the words do not *translate* one for one (and {tu'a} 
doesn't at all)

In passing {cu'u le panomoi ckupau} is more nearly grammatical for what you 
want than "as for the number 10 is a chapter"
Was {je nai} really the inspiration for pi,er's original sentence?