Subject: Re: [lojban] I almost caught the train

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 20:22:00 EST

In a message dated 3/12/2001 6:00:28 PM Central Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> <There is no grammar for numbers so that is a string of 4 
> digits, the first of which is large.>
> 

Ambigous: "there is no grammar for numbers. Therefore, panono is a string 
of four digits, the first of which is large. The first part of this is 
false, I hope, and the second in this context, seems to mean there cannot be 
grammatical numbers more than a digit long, especially if the first is 
large(r than the rest?).
"No part of the grammar of numbers allows a number to be a string of digits, 
if the first is large" I suppose "large" in both these cases means something 
special, in this case PA4?
Somehow, I had the notion that "at least 100" was {su'o panono} I now gather 
that it is {panono su'o}. So, "almost 100" is going to be {panono so'a}

<>I have no suggestion for "barely over 100" off the top of mu head.

panoso'u>
But then {panonosu'o} means "a whole lot more than a thousand" or some such, 
and the other PA+PA4 get really weird.

<soso'a or even soda'a

or if you want the base n solution, da'ada'a

I might also try panononi'u,>
I'm lost. What does "all except 9" or "almost 9" have to do with the cases 
and what does? What does "all except all except" have to do with base n? 
and -100 with anything. Except that they all show that the PA4s go at the 
right end.

<You don't ride a train, you ride a train-car.>
Sensible. It should be on the list someday soon.