Subject: Re: [lojban] "Pipes" and other computer terms

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 23:24:52 -0500

On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 09:31:38PM -0500, cmeclax po'u le cmevi'u ke'umri wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
> 
> I'm writing a list of computer terms and am trying to come up with a word for
> "pipe". "samtubnu" or "datnytubnu" makes no sense, as pipes in a computer
> aren't hollow or made of material. I thought of "datnyxle", but that seems more
> appropriate to "socket", as anyone with the appropriate permissions can read or
> write a named pipe, whereas only one process at a time can read a socket, and
> sockets may have routes whereas pipes don't. Any suggestions?

Oh, you're talking about UNIX pipes. For starters, don't try to
trasnlate the english. 8)

datni flecu

or even

datni tubnu flecu

I don't find the fact that it's not a physical tube terribly relevant.

But

tubnu zi'o le datni

gets that across.

I find flecu _far_ superior, though, because it talks about source and
destination, which is really nice for pipes. Maybe I should start
working on that shell:

(Assuming that the f2 place in datnyfle would be considered redundant).

ko'a goi le pu'u datnyfle zoi iu. ps -aef iu. zoi iu. grep root iu.

ko cusku jalge le pu'u datnyfle ko'a zoi iu. grep -v sendmail iu.

I'll grant you that's a hell of a lot more wordy than just doing it in
*sh, though. But you could have fun with the difference between 

le pu'u datnyfle zoi iu. ps -aef iu. zoi iu. grep root iu.

and 

le nu datnyfle zoi iu. ps -aef iu. zoi iu. grep root iu.

which I'm thinking would effectively be lazy and non-lazy execution,
respectively.

-Robin

-- 
http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
Information wants to be free. Too bad most of it is crap. --RLP