Subject: Re: [lojban] "Pipes" and other computer terms

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 15:39:07

la camgusmis cusku di'e

>But you could have fun with the difference between
>
>le pu'u datnyfle zoi iu. ps -aef iu. zoi iu. grep root iu.
>
>and
>
>le nu datnyfle zoi iu. ps -aef iu. zoi iu. grep root iu.
>
>which I'm thinking would effectively be lazy and non-lazy execution,
>respectively.

But there is no difference. Or rather, {pu'u} is a special case
of {nu}, it does not contrast with it. {pu'u}, {za'i}, {zu'o} and
{mu'e} are all {nu}, so by using {nu} you don't exclude the
{pu'u} interpretation. You can describe it as a process if you
are considering all the steps that constitute the flow from its
origin to its destination, you can describe it as an activity
if you see it as a continuous action, a state if you contrast
it with the non-flowing state as two binary options, and an
achievment if all you care about is its result, either it flowed
or it didn't flow.

co'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.