Subject: Re: [lojban] I almost caught the train

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 15:06:45 -0500

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 02:53:54PM -0500, Invent Yourself wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> 
> 
> > So you are, in fact, wrong: pu'o _absolutely_ implies that the event did not
> > take place.
> 
> 
> pu'o implies that the event did not take place YET! We are, in the context
> of missed trains and averted fights, asking if pu'o means the event EVER
> takes place.
> 
> I thought before, incorrectly, that pu'o implies the event actually does
> (will) take place. Jorge and pc corrected me. Now I assert that pu'o
> should not be taken to imply anything about whether or not the event ever
> occurs; only that it seems likely to. I believe this is what Jorge and pc
> tried to convey. Am I right all all around?

Ah. Sorry, came in late. I agree: it implies nothing about whether the
event ever occurs.

You could certainly clear it up using ze'eba pu'o, though.

-Robin

-- 
http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
Information wants to be free. Too bad most of it is crap. --RLP