Subject: Re: [lojban] Some questions

From: Avital Oliver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 08:25:39 -0600 (CST)

> When you say "tiqtlu", do you stick a sheva' between "q" and "t" or between "t"
> and "l"? Try using that for "y". The "a" in "ball", as I pronounce it, is not
> the Lojban "a", but somewhere between "a" and "o".
I'm guessing you mean <ko carta> for "tiqtlu", for which I pronounce it as
tiq/te/LOO. In modern hebrew, there is no difference between a shva na, a
zire, and a segol.

> My Hebrew pronunciation is probably not the same as yours, but here's my
> attempt:
You pronouce the same way I do.

> I told a brojbe "tlat `alim, tlat 'alim" and had to explain it because she did
> not hear my distinction between 'aleph and `ayin. I also distinguish chet from
> khaf and tet from tav. But I usually pronounce consonantal vav and bhet the
> same (they were distinguished in Septuagint times, but fell together by New
> Testament times) and don't know how to distinguish samekh from sin.
The average Israeli would probably laugh at you .u'i.

Good day,
\Avital.