Subject: Re: [lojban] Some questions

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 22:16:35

la lojbab cusku di'e

> >Speakers of 5-vowel languages were not consulted at the time...
>
>Not directly, though JCB was purportedly fluent in Spanish having lived on
>Ibeza for several years.

Yes, Loglan has a much more noticeable Spanish influence than
Lojban. But JCB was an English native speaker, so of course had
no trouble with a sixth vowel.

>But we did consult linguists and polyglots (who
>were skilled in several languages including Tommy W. who was trained in
>Modern Hebrew), and the consensus was that the best sixth vowel after a
>five vowel system would have to be the central one, which unstressed (as it
>always is in Lojban) is a schwa.

Maybe it was the best sixth, but you should have stopped at 5.

co'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.