Subject: Re: [lojban] Some questions

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 07:23:56 -0500

At 12:33 AM 03/17/2001 -0500, Gary Burgess wrote:
>As one who was there while the phonology of Lojban was devised, I remember
>discussing the [y] phoneme/grapheme.
>
>What we said at the time was that [y] could really be pronounced with any
>vowel that was not in the "canonical" set (i.e. not the Italian a, e, i, o,
>or u).

I think you misremember, Gary. You are describing the consonant buffer, 
which can be any vowel not of the other 6.

>I have used the ae (a as in English apple), or the Russian ery, but I
>recommend the German u-umlaut to pronounce the [y] on the theory that if
>[y] were harder for English speakers to pronounce, it would be less used.

This convinces me that you think we are talking about the buffer. y, on 
the other hand is the 'glue' that joins lujvo together that have mismatched 
juncture, which JCB called a "hyphen" when he added it.

But I'm glad you're awake. Nice that one other person of the original 4 
revolutionaries reads the group %^)

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org