Subject: Random lojban questions/annoyances.

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 19:46:32 -0500

1. Is there a word in lojban for modal?

2. Is there a word for 'with', as opposed to 'without' (claxu)?
Obviously na claxu works, but .oisairo'e

3. On pg. 263 in the Red Book, section 11.7, we find the wonderful
phrase, referring to djuno:

7.4) mi djuno le du'u la frank. cu bebna [kei]
I know the predication that Frank is a fool.

Now we have it. Note that the implied assertion ``Frank is a fool'' is
not a property of ``le du'u'' abstraction, but of ``djuno''; we can only
know what is in fact true. (As a result, ``djuno'' like ``jei'' has a
place for epistemology, which specifies how we know.)

The idea that 'we can only know what is in fact true.' seems patently
ridiculous. How does lojban handle proving someone wrong, then?

-Robin

-- 
http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
Information wants to be free. Too bad most of it is crap. --RLP