Subject: Re: [lojban] Random lojban questions/annoyances.

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 21:00:16 -0500

On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 01:26:02AM +0000, michael helsem wrote:
> >From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
> li'o
> >2. Is there a word for 'with', as opposed to 'without' (claxu)?
> 
> kansa

Is that actually isomorphic to na claxu? kansa appears to be talking
about physical accompaniment to/during an actual event/state, whereas
claxu is much more general. I would be quite comfortable translating
"That picture contains no blue" with "le pixra cu claxu le blanu (or le
ka blanu)", but I would not feel comfortable translating "That picture
contains blue." with "le pixra cu kansa le blanu", because I wouldn't
have anything to putin the x3 place of kansa.

> li'o
> >The idea that 'we can only know what is in fact true.' seems patently
> >ridiculous.
> 
> note the x4 place of DJUNO

I don't see how that mitigates the problem. Does "mi djuno fo le na
drani" translate as "I thought I knew, but I was wrong" (ignoring tense
issues)? Does it make any sense, even?

-Robin

-- 
http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
Information wants to be free. Too bad most of it is crap. --RLP