Subject: Re: [lojban] The Dvorak of Lojban?

From: SwiftRain <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 23:53:51 -0500

Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> 
> Would anyone be annoyed/find it confusing if some people used h
> instead of ' in the same way that some people drop . in written 
> lojban?

I find it equally easy to read text with h and text with '. The only
reason why I prefer ' is because it makes Lojban look like Hawaiian and
I think that's cool. 

OTOH, I see absolutely no reason to drop the full stops. I'm suspicious
that the people who do that aren't pronouncing them when they talk -- it
took me a while to get used to saying it but now it feels to me like a
sound in the language, not just a tacked on requirement. I often
pronounce it as a glottal stop, especially in the very common (in my
Lojban anyway) combination: .i + cinmo valsi (".i .au ko klama"). I
don't think it would have ever felt natural to me to say the .s if I
didn't write them. 

I have no problem reading Lojban with the .s removed, but it reads to me
like Lojban with the Es removed. I don't see the point. At least it
seems that no one has taken to invoking both of the standard heresies
simultaneously .. I would feel rather ohocuhi about that. 

My personal preferences aside, however, I think everyone should do
whatever selglekies them and I'll keep it to myself. I have no problem
reading any style. 

As far as the most efficient typing style/keyboard for Lojban, I don't
know about y'all, but my typing speed in Lojban is atrocious, but it has
nothing to do with my keyboard (dvorak layout btw, and yes we are
smarter than the rest of you, sorry). I spend more time checking my
text and looking up place structures & cmavo that I'm not sure of than I
do actually typing text. 

Once I get up to stream-of-consciousness Lojban, I'll let y'all know my
feeling about lojbanic keyboard layouts in rollicking free-form
paragraphs. .u'i 

mi'e bret.