Subject: Re: [lojban] Random lojban questions/annoyances.

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 03:12:52 -0500 (EST)

Robin Lee Powell scripsit:

> "I used to know how to change a spark plug".

Knowing-how is a different sense of the word; we are talking about
knowing-that only.

> > > I consider belief and knowledge to be equivalent, because 'the truth' is
> > > too elusive and always changing for us to ever be _SURE_ something is
> > > true.
> > 
> > Surety is not required, only truth. Do we really want a situation
> > in which A knows that G is a koala, whereas B knows that G is a chimpanzee?
> 
> Otherwise lack of accurate knowledge results in linguistic invalidity,
> which I don't find acceptable.

What do you mean by "invalidity"? Statements that X knows p are false
if p is false, and may be false even if p is true. "I know" is not
privileged in the way that "I feel" or "I believe" is.

-- 
John Cowan [email-masked]
One art/there is/no less/no more/All things/to do/with sparks/galore
--Douglas Hofstadter