Subject: RE: knowledge {djuno}

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 15:33:50 EST

Oh well, since a new pile just came in.
3) English usage of the word "know" is demonstrably ambiguous, beyond even 
the obvious "familiar"/"cognize" familiar from other langauges and the "know 
how" that comes up in exactly that way. From the point of view of Lojban, we 
can describe tow other meanings that are not {djuno} and are still clear in 
English usage -- and often distinctively marked. One is lb {birti} and is 
marked in English often by a contrastive stress when the claim is challenged. 
The other is a closely related attitudinal, roughly {ju'ocai}, which again 
has a peculiar response in challenge situations: "well, I just know" (often 
no contrastive stress). There is a range of other distinguishing marks, but 
these are the most common and easiest to spot. The trouble is, we often 
don't bother to look for them, so we see cases of {birti} as cases of {djuno} 
and (possibly worse, though not in the present discussion) cases of {ju'ocai} 
as cases of {birti}. And then, running these all together, we say that 
{djuno} doesn't require that the 2nd argument be a fact. Not so (although, 
with all places specified, it need not be a fact in the ordinary world as 
ordinarily understood).