Subject: Re: [lojban] re: djuno [was: random lojban annoyance

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 15:52:59 -0500

Invent Yourself wrote:

> krici
> believe; 'creed'
> 
> x1 believes [without evidence/proof] belief/creed x2 (du'u) is
> true/assumed about subject x3
>
> Can you give me any example some somebody believing anything without
> evidence? Even the Son of Sam serial killer had evidence; his neighbor's
> doberman told him to commit those murders.

The evidence for a belief is another belief. I believe the sun
has risen because I see a light in the sky, and I believe I see
a light in the sky because ...?

Some beliefs must be held without evidence, just as some truths
must be postulated without proof.

-- 
There is / one art || John Cowan <[email-masked]>
no more / no less || http://www.reutershealth.com
to do / all things || http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
with art- / lessness \\ -- Piet Hein