Subject: Re: [lojban] Knowledge (was: Random lojban questions/annoyances

From: Invent Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 16:07:10 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Robert J. Chassell wrote:

> The link, I believe, between Jorge and Robin, is that the default djuno x4
> is the narrator's belief system.
>
> No, I think the default djuno x4 should be the belief system
> appropriate to the utterance. But understanding does get complicated;
> but then, understanding always is complicated.
>
> The advantage of Lojban in this case is that it is clearly difficult
> to determine which djuno x4 a narrator is using unless he or she
> specifies it. On the other hand, it is less obvious to English
> speakers that epistemologies vary. Certainly, I myself tend to
> presume that my interlocutors share my epistemology, and I am often
> wrong.

In English, x4 is fixed as the narrator's belief system. I can't say "A
knows B" unless I believe it too.

I suspect Jorge + John use the narrator as default x4, since they seem to
see djuno as similar in this sense as "know". And I suspect Robin would
put it as the belief system of the person being discussed (if there is
such a person). A convention on the meaning of djuno fo zo'e would be
nice!

-----
We do not like And if a cat
those Rs and Ds, needed a hat?
Who can't resist Free enterprise
more subsidies. is there for that!