Subject: Re: [lojban] Random lojban questions/annoyances.

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 09:44:44 -0500

At 02:30 PM 03/21/2001 +0000, Jorge Llambias wrote:
>la lojbab cusku di'e
> >Use jetnu for subjective truth that is observer
> >independent given a common epistemology, and djuno for subjective truth
> >that is observer dependent (this seems to be where others don't necessarily
> >agree with me because they don't like subjective truth to be called
> >"knowledge", but you can always weaken the claim by using belief as your
> >epistemology).
>
>You seem to be saying that you could have a situation where
>{ko'a djuno ko'e fo ko'i} is true and {ko'e jetnu ko'i}
>is false. I can't imagine how that could be possible,
>can you give an example?

Simplest case that comes to mind: experimental measurements of the speed of 
light or other fundamental constants. ko'a does the experiment and gets 
value c1. ko'e repeats the experiment and gets value c2. The actual value 
of c may be slightly different from either of these values, of course. In 
this sense, the knowledge of the values c1 and c2 are both dependent on the 
observers, yet neither of them is true in the absence of an observer place.

Probably the same would be true of much transient subjective sensory 
information.

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org