Subject: Re: [lojban] Marketing lojban

From: Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 20:51:56 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001, Robin Turner wrote:

> Assuming you're using a UNIX-type OS, download the latest version of wv,
> which converts MS Word documents to reasonable LaTeX (and can be used as a
> LyX plugin).

Ergh. Now I know. Well, I think I'll just stick with what I'm doing
because I'm planning on trying to do a _very_ structural description of
the textbook. (I didn't try running wv, but it looks like it has two
versions, one that produces _visually_ good output, and another which
tries to produce code good output. I'm aiming for both.)

> And those of us outside the Windoze world don't like Word documents, even if
> we have something that can read them ;-) I suggest we adopt PDF for long
> documents on the site, and stick to HTML for shorter stuff. PDF is not ideal
> by any means, but at least it's cross-platform.

LaTeX is further a good idea because PDFs and a variety of other widely
viewable electronic formats can be produced from it. (And it looks so
classy when you print it out!)

I was planning on, after I get the current content of the textbook looking
decent as LaTeX output, to make available the LaTeX source, as well as
DVI, PostScript, PDF and HTML. (Then I hope to make regular updates to it,
improving the LaTeX and the content. Unless someone else is interested in
doing that at this stage, then I think I'll stick to LaTeX :)

- Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Waiting Is.